SOS Update – 11.26.2013
There is so much excitement about the SOS (secure our own space) Initiative; so many wonderful and incredible things taking place surrounding the possibility of us, Illumination Church, taking residence in our own permanent facility in Burnsville (12156 Nicollet Ave, Burnsville, MN). In this short blog I’m excited to share some of the latest updates on our new Burnsville Illumination Church space!
- Financial(s) to date: Our projected budget amount to secure our own space and be able to build the (Burnsville, MN) facility out for optimal use is $110,211.00. This budget amount includes everything in the Worship Center (chairs, stage, lights, sound equipment, and more) as well as the SONShine Kid’s Wing, Fellowship Hall, Conference Room, Administration Wing and more. *An itemized list is available at your request. Simply email Pastor Dan with an inquiry at: firstname.lastname@example.org. As of Sunday, November 24th, we have raised a total of $37,037, which is just over 1/3 of the way there. Here is what it looks like broken down:
NOTE: We have an active graphic, which shows us weekly updates at our Sunday Celebration Services at Twin Oaks Middle School. As you come in be sure to look for the Light House near Guest Central. It will have the latest in financials.
- Burnsville City Commissioners Town Hall Meeting: At the City Commissioners Town Hall meeting last night, Pastor Dan and I sat in as the Burnsville City Planner gave a report and recommendation to the five Commissioners sitting on the board. It was interesting listening to someone outside of Illumination give an explanation of what our intentions are both within the building as well as throughout the community. For me, the coolest part of the whole meeting was at the end of the City Planners presentation. Asked by the Chair of the Board if any of the Commissioners had questions or discussion items, a hand quickly shot up. Anticipating some push-back, I sat in utter amazement as the Commissioner actively encouraged the other Commissioners to strongly support our church in our desire to secure our own space as he would be recommending approval. What’s more is that he gave several reasons why he felt a church in their community would be a wonderful thing. Immediately following the first Commissioners response another hand of a different Commissioner was raised who decisively agreed with the first Commissioners recommendation and threw in his thoughts on why our church in this space at this time would be a wonderful thing. Soon after a motion was made and adopted and the City Commissioners voted unanimously, 5-0, to accept our proposal and to make a recommendation on our behalf to the Mayor and City Council at next week’s meeting, December 2nd. What an exciting experience; one that will not quickly be forgotten, and one that is a pre-cursor for what everyone believes we will receive from the City Council as well. Praise God!
- Serve Sunday (11.24.2013): Last Sunday was the first of our Serve Sunday’s at thenew facility. 27 people showed up and worked for nearly 4 hours cleaning, constructing, landscaping, scrubbing, smiling, working, hauling, laughing, sweating and doing life and ministry together. All reports that I’ve heard were phenomenal; a huge success! Here are just a few snapshots into what our Serve Sunday looked like:
Because of the amazing hearts and work of those who were able to make our Serve Sunday, we were able to clean the restrooms (deep clean), prep all of the SONShine Kid’s classrooms for painting, significantly clean up the yard with landscaping, frame in the offices in the administrative wing, tear out SheetRock in preparation for a hallway and much, much, much more…
Church, I am absolutely amazed at God and what He’s doing! I couldn’t have imagined any of this had I tried. What’s more is that I am overcome with joy and pride (a good sense of pride) at our church whom have stepped up in so many ways, whether financially or physically or spiritually and more, God is using the men and women and youth of our church to do incredible things together, things that will serve to change the way people view God in a community that is desperate for a church that is real, relevant and reaching. Way to go church!
I’m looking forward to continuing in this journey together over the days, weeks, months and years to come…
But wait! There’s more…
Here are just a few ways that you can still be involved in our SOS Initiative…
- Get signed up for our next Serve Sunday Project (December 15th) – email@example.com or sign up on Sunday.
- We are still $73,174.00 away from our projected budget for our new space. We’d love for you to prayerfully consider how God might be leading you to give sacrificially in an effort to see our initiative reach it’s fullest potential. You can give online (www.illuminationchurch.com) or give on Sunday morning at our Celebration Service. Be sure to “earmark” your SOS Initiative offering as separate from your tithes and other gifts.
- Annual Commitment Cards: We are asking everyone to prayerfully consider what they might be willing to sacrificially give above and beyond their tithe toward the SOS Initiative. You can download and print a card online athttp://www.illuminationchurch.com or ask for Commitment Card at our Guest Central table on Sunday morning.
- Prayer: We need be intentional about praying through this process and for our community, that God will use these efforts to advance His kingdom and to make His name famous; that God will give us favor in Burnsville in Savage in Prior Lake and in the community that we believe God calling us to.
- Spread the word: We’d love for you to share the exciting things that God is doing within Illumination Church with your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, etc. What’s more is that we would love for you to invite those in your community and spheres of influence to come and experience, first hand, the way God in working so that they might experience the work of the Holy Spirit through you and Illumination Church as well.